Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Nuns to the Rescue!!

Among my school friends, I've been often viewed as an anime guru. This is probably because in my first two years of college at Case Western Reserve University, I took advantage of the world’s most powerful learning environment by downloading anime episodes from the Internet and the school network, and regularly going to the CWRU Anime Society, where members view anime episodes on a projector screen in a lecture room. Compared to most friends on IRC, my anime knowledge is very limited. Still, I plan to write about a few series I watched, in an attempt to rescue my blog from death. The first one I shall feature is Chrno Crusade.

There are light, vague spoilers below. After rereading, I don't think my post will ruin it for anyone who hasn’t watched or finished watching this show.

Background

Chrno Crusade screencap

Sister Rosette, prepared to fire a Gospel. from AniPlanet

Many people describe Chrno Crusade playfully as a show with nuns with guns, giving you a little idea of the series’s background: in the U.S., 1920, heroine Sister Rosette, one of the professional exorcists of Magdala Monastery, and her partner Chrno investigate events related to demon worship and fight the culprit (summarized from AnimeNfo’s description).

Development and Themes

The beginning episodes are light, humorous, thrilling at times (exorcism scenes), and as the story and characters develop, the episodes becomes more emotional and heavier, but still with enough comic relief. The themes of religion and heresy grow stronger as the show progresses. I feel they are merely a setting for the anime, not intended to be taken seriously, but there are a few episodes with heavy religious references that I find difficult to associate with the rest of the anime. Still, for a casual pagan viewer like me, these themes provided an interesting setting, and some spooky and impressive scenes and music :) Many episodes are action packed, where Rosette and friends rescue, pursue, confront, or survive from ambush. One scene in a later episode especially fits the aforementioned popular description, with a large troop of nuns shooting at demons with machine guns loaded with holy bullets :)

Music

I find music in most of the anime series I've watched appealing; actually, anime OSTs constitute 70% of the music I listen to. Some anime soundtracks adapt to the show very well, but are too boring, weird, etc. to be enjoyed alone. But I was impressed with Chrno Crusade’s background music and theme songs when I watched it, and I still enjoy the soundtrack regularly two years later now. The music is mostly classical, played by orchestra, piano, and/or voice.

Overall Evaluation

I enjoyed Chrno Crusade greatly for its unique setting, emotional story and exciting action. The ending was a part of the show I didn’t like, but a few commentors seem to favor it. I think this anime will also be welcomed by most anime watchers with a diverse interest.

So there is my first anime review ^_^ I’m looking forward to feedbacks from you!

Revision

By requests in the comments, I added a short evaluation paragraph above.

Tags: ,

No comments: