Thursday, June 23, 2005

Grrr, nazis!

I had put up a Google AdSense for Search box on the side bar, which looks like a standard Google search box, but in the results page, displays some "related" ads that brings me money if you click on them. If you didn't have the chance to try it before I deleted it today, it searched on the web, instead of this site only. Today I thought it would be nice to let it search on my blog only, since my post numbers are growing. The search box on the top of this page, provided by Blogger, also does it, but it would still be nice to have my own. So I went to the setting page for the search box, and saw that it allowed me to add multiple domains to search. I liked that, and added domains that would search on my blog only, all blogs on Blogger, and the Blogger site. Unfortunately, it made the search form too wide to fit in the side bar: (it's not very obvious from the screenshot, but the form does grow out of the side bar, and as you can see the domains' layout looks ugly too.)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Google doesn't provide settings to restrict the width of the whole search form, but the code it gave me was in HTML, which I now understand a little, instead of a javascript on some remote site. So I tweaked it a little and made it look pretty nice on this site:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Now the tragic part :( I thought of asking whether Google would allow me to change the display of the form like that, and went to its policy page. And the answer was:

Any AdSense ad code or search box code must be pasted directly into Web pages without modification. AdSense participants are not allowed to alter any portion of the ad code or change the layout, behaviour, or delivery of ads for any reason.

"Not...for any reason", so no "buts".

Someone wrote in a forum that Google isn't really strict about these policies, and I don't think they will actually compare every user's code to see if they modified it...but having read the policy, I don't feel comfortable using it modified. It's also kind of a boycott. (And I know nobody cares.)

Another reason I removed the box was that the site search completely doesn't work on my site...Even the box on the top. I typed in words in my post, and no results come up. Even "blog" wasn't found. Maybe it's because Google hasn't crawled my site again. It could also be my or Blogger or the template's author's fault—my page doesn't validate by W3C, with over 100 warnings—but I don't think that's the reason...

It's very late, and I'm tired...maybe it will work tomorrow...

Tags:

4 comments:

Tanvir said...

I see. So not only are you ugly, you are also stupid. Yay. ;)

It's funny how you tweak your blog so much and I'm the only one who reads it. You should try getting more people to read your blog. Unless your scared of people reading what's on your mind. Hey, isn't that mindreading? You get telepathic powers by reading people's blogs/diaries. Nice! :D

Now I've commented, and I will not include a link to my blog this time. Bye.

Anonymous said...

exactly~~~~~~
what the heck is this??? heheh... trying to be a bloger finally eh?good for ya!BBBBUt~pleeease write about sth interesting k, kiddo? I ve lost all my interest of reading the rest of ur updates after seeing this fr'gin post...i ll give u a little credit for the creative title but thats it...can u avoid technical terms and make it more story telling for ppl like me? willya?
btw...nice layout.ud have to help me with mine sometime!

Tanvir said...

I agree with your sister. Your beautiful sister. ;)

You need more content, rather than writing how you have tweaked your blog and how uncool your HTML skillz are in the real world.

You could write stories about stuff that happens to you IRL! Like... when you were on vacation or something.
"I remember when I was in China for the first time. I saw lots of people. They were nice to me. I like flowers. And rainbows. Weeeeeee." <-- something like that.

At least you got another reader/commentator to your blog. Yay. :D

"K, kiddo?" ;)

Also... it doesn't say much about you in your profile. And you mispelt the hard word "Japanese". :P

Sincerely,
Your blog-pal and only google ad-clicker, Gravi-T.

hagabaka said...

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, sis and pal. But try not to use words that embarassme and quote them...please? As I said in my newest post, I will try to write about some other things, but I'm just excited trying out the cool stuff for now :)
You can "view my complete profile" to see my interests, and I thought besides those, there wasn't much more I wanted to share...